CALL US TODAY AT: 260-422-1561
130 W Main St, Ste 22, Fort Wayne, IN 46802


Frequently Asked Legal Questions - Fort Wayne, IN

Q. What is the filing fee for my case?
A. Filing fees are set by the courts and vary based on the type of case filed and change from year to year. Contact your attorney to verify the particular filing fee for your type of case.
Q. What is a retainer?

A. A retainer is a deposit or advance payment to the law firm in order to retain the services of an attorney. It may also be used to pay for some of the fees and costs the firm anticipates will be incurred in your representation. The firm will be compensated from these funds only when fees are earned or costs are incurred on your behalf.

The amount of the retainer requested by the firm depends on the amount of time and costs the firm anticipates it will spend for your representation. The retainer usually covers only a portion of the entire anticipated fee. If all retainer funds have not been utilized upon conclusion of your representation, you will be refunded the difference. Work will not begin on your behalf until the retainer has been paid in full.

Q. Can I file a case myself in small claims court without an attorney?

A. You may be able to file a case for damages in small claims court. However, if you are seeking to obtain more than $6,000 in damages or you are filing as a corporation, you will not be able to file in small claims without legal counsel.

Q. Where is the Allen County Courthouse?

A. The Allen County Courthouse is located in historic downtown Fort Wayne at 715 S Calhoun Street, Fort Wayne, Indiana.

Q. Where is the City-County Building?

A. The City-County Building is located at 1 E Main Street in historic downtown Fort Wayne, across from the Allen County Courthouse.

Q. Where is the small claims division?

A. The small claims division is located in the Allen County Courthouse Annex at 113 W Berry Street in downtown Fort Wayne.

Q. Where is the Juvenile Justice Center?

A. The Wood Youth Center is located at 2929 Wells Street North in Fort Wayne, just minutes from downtown.

Q. Where are the Social Security Disability Office and Office of Hearings and Appeals?

A. The Social Security District Office is located at 5800 S. Fairfield Ave., Ste. 235. The Office of Hearings and Appeals for Social Security is located in north Fort Wayne at 6511 Brotherhood Way.

Q. Are secretaries or paralegals involved in my case?

A. Typically both secretaries and paralegals will be assisting on your case, but the paralegal will play a much larger role as far as working intimately with you and being available to field questions about your case. If you call to ask your attorney a question, and he or she is not available, the secretary and/or paralegal may have the answer. Please note that secretaries and/or paralegals CANNOT give legal advice.

Q. How long will my case take?

A. The length of time it takes to complete a matter can vary. Much of it will depend upon the cooperation of the parties and attorneys involved, as well as other factors. For example, a dissolution may take longer if the divorce is contested, and whether or not custody is being challenged.

Q. What is my responsibility as a client?

A. The first thing that an attorney asks of a client is to be truthful at all times. Withholding information or providing incorrect information will prevent the attorney from giving proper advice. Additionally, throughout the legal process the attorney will have various different requests, so be prepared to give your attorney as much information as possible regarding you and your case. Keeping detailed files with information such as dates, finances and the like will also help your attorney help you. It is also critical that you keep the attorney informed at all times with regard to any changes in your address or other contact information.

Q. What is the role of my attorney?
A. The attorney will use his or her legal knowledge and training to represent you and to offer you potential solutions to your legal problem. The attorney will also represent you in court or another forum, if that is necessary to resolve your case. If you have a question that is not addressed on this page please feel free to call us at 260-422-1561.
Contact our law firm in Fort Wayne, Indiana, to keep the upper legal hand.